Urban Alphabeats – Learn Letter Sounds To Music
Looking for a fun, easy and effective way to get your students to learn letter sounds? Put your students on the fast track to reading proficiency with the funky, upbeat style of Urban Alphabeats! Not just for kids, this enjoyable musical teaching resource works just as effectively for adults, and produces proven results in record time. Students progress quickly with this letter/sound acquisition resource, as they learn to synthesize sounds, create words with meaning and ultimately move on to reading with confidence. Best of all – they don’t realize how hard they’re working because they’re too busy having fun! Teacher tested, student approved, Urban Alphabeats is the number one choice for educators, parents and adult learners alike.
Who Can Use It:
• Teachers interested in adopting a fresh new approach to their students learning to read
• Parents who’d like to boost their kids’ reading skills at home / Homeschoolers
• Adults new to the language (ESL, EAL)
• Students with Special Needs
• JK/SK- Grade 8
• Early Childhood Education instructors
How to Use It:
The downloadable zip file contains 4 tracks; made available upon purchase:
1. Performance sample track, everyone sings along to learn
2. Males only: if you are teaching a male you may prefer to sing with the male voice
3. Female only: if you are teaching a female, you may prefer singing along to this track
4. Instrumental: once students have mastered the sounds, they can do a solo performance or teachers can get creative and use this track to practice problem areas and to meet assessment needs.
• Pattie Cake with a partner as you sing along to the sounds
• Create a letter sound picture book as an end assessment piece
• Hop Scotch: Jump and Say each letter sound
• Limit Focus: select a group of sounds to work on each week instead of attempting them all at once
• Musical Interlude: have students repeat the sounds they seem to struggle with as they sing along; reinforce, reinforce, reinforce!
• Use familiar actions such as those used with Jolly Phonics, set instead to the funky beat of Urban Alphabeats.
• Create your own actions! Students enjoy coming up with personal actions that they can remember!
• If you are an adult just learning letter sounds, download and add the tracks to your mp3 player or mobile device and sing along as you go about your daily routine eg: play it in the car and join in as you drive!
What Classroom Teachers can do: (depending on age group)
• Gym class warm-up
• Line up inside and wait as you sing the sounds
• As a routine change to-singing in the morning, sing just before lunch, sing at the end of the day
• Do it as a Daily Physical Activity (DPA) routine
• Use it in Drama class and create letter tableaux
• Use Urban Alphabeats on its own or combine it with another resource/ program